Thursday, March 29, 2012

Delayed Recipe Wednesday!


Recipe Thursday this week sorry everyone! I started a new job this week so its been a little bit hectic trying to get all adjusted to the new schedule! On a side note though, I LOVE my new job, like alot!! The people are wonderful, the office is beautiful, I couldn’t be happier. So that’s very exciting for us! The boyfriend and I get to carpool which is soo nice! What is not nice however is the traffic in downtown Seattle! I mean 20 minutes to go 2 blocks, its craziness!! Annndd who are these people that want to cut

you off after you have been patiently, and man patiently, okay, well while screaming at people through the windshield, waiting for 10 minutes in the same spot!!! Like, really you have got to be kidding me!! Whoa, okay sorry just needed to do a little ranting there :)

Anyways, recipe for this week was a bit of a shocker for me. It was a recipe that I was a little skeptical about for what reason I am not entirely sure but, I was. I more was making it as a filler because we had all the ingredients, but it actually turned out to be fantastic!

I found on the lovely Pinterest and was linked back to a site that I have grown to REALLY love, I have posted a majority of Recipe Wednesdays from there actually, but never even looked at this one! So from Skinnytaste.com I present.....

Stuffed Pepper Soup
Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 6 • Size: 1 1/3 cups soup, 1/2 cup rice • Old Points: 5 pts • Points+: 7 pts
Calories: 261.2 • Fat: 4.8 g • Carb: 37.5 g • Fiber: 4.7 g • Protein: 17.6 g • Sugar: 6 g
Sodium: 606.3 g (without salt)


Ingredients:

· 3 cups cooked brown rice

· 1 lb 95% lean ground beef

· 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper

· 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper

· 1 cup finely diced onion

· 3 cloves garlic, chopped

· 2 cans (14.5 oz each) cans petite diced tomatoes

· 1 3/4 cups tomato sauce

· 2 cups reduced sodium, fat-free chicken broth

· 1/2 tsp dried marjoram

· salt and fresh pepper to taste


Directions:

In a large pot or dutch oven, brown ground meat on high heat and season with salt. Drain fat if any, reduce heat to medium-low, then add peppers, onions and garlic. Cook about 5 minutes on low heat.

Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, marjoram and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes. Serve about 1 1/3 cups of soup in each bowl and top with 1/2 cup cooked brown rice.

Soo just a few substitutions I made, we don’t eat regular ground beef so I used ground turkey instead. And then as I was getting the canned tomatoes out, I realized I forgot to grab tomato sauce, soo I just used marinara sauce, perhaps not AS healthy but it worked!! And this soup was amazing!! Topped with brown rice...mmm mmm!! Next time though I think I am just going to cook the brown rice in the soup itself, they have to cook for the same amount of time so I think it would be okay, we'll see, I will keep you posted when I try it! I seriously love brown rice, in fact I couldn’t even tell you the last time I had white rice, and it’s just not the same! Highly recommend, annd aton of leftovers for lunch :)

How is everyone’s week going?? Any recipes I should try for the weekend?! I am on the search for an award winning appetizer recipe and a shot recipe for an upcoming party, suggestions would sooo help!! :)

xoxoxo Heidi



1 comment:

  1. That sounds SO good! I am so going to make it! :) I have a really yummy soup receipe that I got from Pintrist... made it a few weeks ago and doing it again tonight! I will send it to you! Sorry no appetizer receipe to share! I do have a killer shot one... LOL... did I get you?? ;)

    ReplyDelete